Resources For Doing Support Work
Letter Writing Guides:
- NYC Anarchist Black Cross guide to writing letters to political prisoners
- How to write US political prisoners video tutorial (9min)
- Black and Pink prisoner letter writing guidelines
- Rebel Steps podcast episode “Write a Letter (Solidarity)” (18min with transcript)
Guides and Suggestions for Supporting Prisoners
- 7 Ways to Support People in Prison
- 10 Ways to Support Friends and Family Members in Prison
- How to Help Your Loved One in Federal Prison
- A Tilted Guide to Being a Defendant (free ebook download available) is a comprehensive guide to facing charges in the criminal legal system to help defendants not only figure out how to handle their legal cases, but also how to think about their cases based on their goals: personal, political, and legal. This book was written by dedicated legal support activists and draws on the wisdom of dozens of people who have weathered the challenges of trials and incarceration.
- Representing Radicals helps lawyers understand ways to work with radical defendants, with an explicit focus on how to help them achieve ends that go beyond traditional legal goals. Understanding radical defendants’ goals and political priorities is a crucial part of providing them with the most robust criminal defense while helping them strengthen and defend their social movements. This book is based on the belief that lawyers and radical defendants can work together in ways that strengthen movements when fighting criminal charges.
Repress This! Ways to be Your Own Anti-Repression Committee – This guide – put together by the Bay Area Anti-Repression Committee – is an excellent introduction to protecting you and your comrades from repression. It provides basic actions and precautions for engaging in anti-repression work with the hope that others will take on the work. It covers basic legal considerations before actions, the arrest process, how to get folks out of jail, the importance of not talking to police, and more.
AK Press offers a 30% discount on books shipped directly to people in jails or prisons. For a subscription of $15/mo, they will send every book they publish to the prisoner of your choice. Or you can request that a prisoner be added to the wait list for a subscription sponsored by someone else.
Rosenberg Fund for Children grant programs provide funds to support the children of targeted progressive activists and youth who are targeted activists themselves (ages 0-24yrs). Grant application deadlines are March 21 and October 31.
Organizations Doing Support Work for Uprising Prisoners
Minnesota Uprising Arrestee Support
Puget Sound Prisoner Support
Tucson Anti Repression Crew
Atlanta Solidarity Fund
Michigan Solidarity Bail Fund
Drop the Charges
Anti Repression PDX
News and Analysis of Legal Repression Against the Uprisings
Mapping the State’s Strategy of Repression Against the Rebellion – https://itsgoingdown.org/mapping-the-states-strategy-of-repression-against-the-rebellion/
Indigenous Man Faces Up to 10 Years in Prison for Facebook Posts – https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/1/19/holdindigenous-man-faces-10-years-for-facebook-comments-during-b
Two Brooklyn Lawyers Accused of Throwing Molotov Cocktails Are the Public Face of Trump Administration’s Crackdown on Dissent – https://theintercept.com/2020/06/19/brooklyn-lawyers-molotov-cocktails-trump/
The President’s War on Dissent Is Using Trumped-Up Federal Charges – https://theintercept.com/2020/10/31/protests-federal-charges-trump/
How Segregationists Rushed Through The 1968 Rioting Laws DOJ Is Using In 2020 – https://www.huffpost.com/entry/anti-rioting-act-civil-disorder-law-doj-barr-trump-consitutional_n_5f6a012cc5b655acbc701ca2
Feds Leverage Civil Disorder Charge Against George Floyd Protester – https://unicornriot.ninja/2020/feds-leverage-civil-disorder-charge-against-george-floyd-protester/
Collection of Zines and Pamphlets from the 2020 Uprising – https://uprising2020.noblogs.org/
Other General Resources